Lost Green Card

Every U.S. Legal Permanent Resident (LPR) who seeks to board a flight to the U.S. must present a valid “green card” or other documentation from the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) at check-in.

If your green card has been lost or stolen, the Immigrant Visa Unit may be able to issue you a Boarding Foil which would allow you to return to the United States.  In order to issue a Boarding Foil, the Immigrant Visa Unit may interview you and obtain confirmation of your permanent resident alien status from the Department of Homeland Security.

For assistance with a lost Green Card, please send an email to ParaguayIV@state.gov briefly explaining your situation.  Please include your alien registration number, complete name, date and place of birth, and your contact information.

Frequently Asked Questions

To enter the U.S., a LPR may present at least one of the following items in place of a boarding foil:

  1. An expired Permanent Resident Card with a 10-year expiration date (depending on the airline’s policy), or
  2. A valid Permanent Resident Card (with a two-year validity), and a Form I-797, Notice of Action, indicating that status is extended, or
  3. Orders from the U.S. government (civilian or military) showing that time outside the U.S. was on official government business.  These individuals should consult their air carrier prior to completion of an I-131A and payment of the fee.

An I-131A fee will only be refunded in the event of U.S. government error.  USCIS will not process a refund if an applicant later determines that a LPR boarding foil was unnecessary.  Please contact the relevant USCIS Field Office for more information.