U.S. Embassy Asuncion, Paraguay
April 5, 2017
Security Message for US Citizens: Update 5 and Use of website for future demonstration information
The U.S. Embassy informs U.S. citizens that prior travel restrictions to the downtown area have been lifted for official personnel, and the prior recommendation of a dusk-to-dawn curfew has ended. While no demonstrations are currently scheduled, the political situation in Paraguay remains fluid. Remain alert to local news and events.
Due to the Embassy’s proximity to Mburuvicha Roga (President’s Residence), road closures near the Embassy may happen with short notice.
The U.S. Embassy will not routinely send out security messages that relate to demonstrations via email. Instead the U.S. Embassy will post these security messages on its website. Further information is available in our Paraguay Specific Information sheet and on the U.S. Embassy website at our Security Messages page.
Even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence. You should avoid areas of demonstrations, and exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings, protests, or demonstrations.
Review your personal security plans; remain aware of your surroundings, including local events; and monitor local news stations for updates. Maintain a high level of vigilance and take appropriate steps to enhance your personal security.
- See the State Department’s travel websitefor the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Paraguay Specific Information sheet.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program(STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Paraguay located at 1776 Mariscal Lopez Avenue at +595 21 213 715 from 7:30 a.m. to 5.30 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 7:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. on Friday. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +595 21 213 715 extension 2210 or +595 21 213 715 and listen to the prompt for emergencies.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitterand Facebook.