Minors Departing Paraguay

Special requirements for children bearing American passports to depart Paraguay

  • Minor born in the United States:  They are considered tourists. No written authorization signed by the parents is required to leave the country.
  • Minor born in Paraguay:  A written authorization or “Permiso del Menor” (See below) should be presented to the immigration authorities before departure.
  • Minor bearer of U.S. Passport traveling with a third party, child of Paraguayan citizens residing outside of Paraguay:  Notarized written authorization is required from both parents. The document must be notarized by the Paraguayan Consul. This letter must be presented before the Minors and Adolescence Court in Paraguay in order to obtain a “Venia Judicial para viajar” or authorization from the judge to allow the child to travel.
  • Minor child of Diplomats recognized before the Paraguayan government:
    Bearers of diplomatic passports are exempt from this requirement.
  • Minor child of Diplomats, traveling with third party:  It is recommended that parents sign an authorization for the person who’s traveling with their child. This letter can only be notarized by the U.S. Consul. It should be presented to Immigration official’s before departure. Please consult with the Consular Section regarding this authorization.

How to obtain a “Permiso del Menor” (Both parents in Paraguay)

Both parents should go to the Justice of the Peace of their residence.Open hours are from 7:00 to 1:00 PM, Monday thru Friday.Present the following documents:

  • Original and photocopy of child’s ID or Passport
  • Original and photocopy of parents’ ID or Passport
  • Original and photocopy of Child’s Birth Certificate or Parents’ marriage certificate
  • Original documents are returned, copies are kept with the files
  • Both parents must be present to sign (It can be done separately)
  • No fee

Parents should reside within the Justice of the Peace’s jurisdiction
Note: There are four Justice of the Peace offices in Asunción. You should go to the one that’s closest to your home.

Parents residing abroad. Steps to be taken to obtain a Permiso del Menor for their child

Parents should sign an authorization before the Paraguayan Consul, (in Consulate letterhead). This document must be legalized by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.  The person appointed to travel with the child must appear before the court with a lawyer to start the process to obtain a “Venia Judicial para viajar” which is the authorization granted by the judge that allows the child to travel with a third party.

The Court for minors and adolescents (Family Court) will receive these documents in order to issue or deny the authorization for the child to leave the country. Among other documents to be presented are:  Notarized letter signed by parents before the Paraguayan consul, Child’s Paraguayan ID (cédula), Child’s original birth certificate* or Paraguayan passport of the adult appointed by the parents to travel with the child.

The process can take approximately 15 days. If the child is 6 years or older, the judge will request to see him/her as well. The Judge will take the child’s wishes into consideration.

*If the child was born in the U.S., the original birth certificate must be authenticated by the Paraguayan Consul before it’s presented to Paraguayan authorities.