January 31, 2022
Paraguay – Level 4: Do Not Travel
Do not travel to Paraguay due to COVID-19. Some areas have increased crime risk. Read the entire Travel Advisory.
Read the Department of State’s COVID-19 page before you plan any international travel.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a Level 4 Travel Health Notice for Paraguay due to COVID-19, indicating a very high level of COVID-19 in the country. Your risk of contracting COVID-19 and developing severe symptoms may be lower if you are fully vaccinated with an FDA authorized vaccine. Before planning any international travel, please review the CDC’s specific recommendations for vaccinated and unvaccinated travelers. Visit the Embassy’s COVID-19 page for more information on COVID-19 in Paraguay.
Exercise increased caution in:
- Amambay, Alto Paraná, Canindeyu, San Pedro, and Concepcion departments due to crime.
Read the country information page.
If you decide to travel to Paraguay:
- See the U.S. Embassy’s web page regarding COVID-19.
- Visit the CDC’s webpage on Travel and COVID-19.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive alerts and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Follow the Department of State on Facebook and Twitter.
- Review the Country Security Report for Paraguay.
- U.S. citizens who travel abroad should always have a contingency plan for emergency situations. Review the Traveler’s Checklist.
Departments of Amambay, Alto Paraná, Canindeyu, San Pedro, and Concepcion
Transnational criminal elements are active and engage in illicit trafficking of arms, narcotics, and goods in these departments, which are located along Paraguay’s northeastern border with Brazil. Police presence is limited.
U.S. government personnel must provide advance notice when traveling to these areas.
- U.S. Embassy Asuncion, Paraguay. +(595) (21) 213-715. +(595) (21) 229-581 (after hours). ParaguayACS@state.gov U.S. Embassy Asunción web page.
- State Department – Consular Affairs. 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Travel.state.gov Paraguay Country Information and Travel Advisory page.
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.