Event: There is an ongoing outbreak of Coronavirus (COVID-19) first identified in Wuhan, China. The global public health threat posed by COVID-19 is high, with more than 80,000 reported cases worldwide.
On March 10, the Paraguayan Ministry of Health announced there are two confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Paraguay.
The government of Paraguay has implemented enhanced screening and quarantine measures (in Spanish) for travelers from areas with community transmission of COVID-19, including China, Hong Kong, South Korea, Italy, Singapore, Japan, Thailand, and Iran to reduce the spread of COVID-19. U.S. citizens arriving in Paraguay who are found to have a fever or other symptoms indicating possible COVID-19 infection may be required to quarantine at home for 14 days.
The Paraguayan Ministry of Health (in Spanish) requests recent travelers from these areas who experience a fever, cough, or respiratory distress contact the Ministry of Health at (0983) 87 92 75. Travelers should be prepared for travel restrictions to be put into effect with little or no advance notice. Visit the website of the Ministry of Health for additional information on these new measures.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19 please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines or cruise lines regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Paraguay.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s websiteon the latest travel restrictions to the U.S.
- U.S. Embassy Asuncion, Paraguay
+(595) (21) 213-715
+(595) (21) 229-581 (after hours)
U.S. Embassy web page
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Paraguay Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook