Event: The Paraguayan government has announced all international borders will close to travel from March 25 to March 29. Cargo will still be permitted to cross the borders. Commercial flights have been suspended at all Paraguayan airports until April 12, with limited exceptions for repatriation flights.
The government of Paraguay has implemented enhanced screening and quarantine measures to reduce the spread the spread of COVID-19. From March 20 to March 28, the Government of Paraguay has ordered all persons in Paraguay to remain in their homes except for necessary travel to obtain food, medical care, or cleaning supplies. The order includes limited exceptions for the preservation of life, health, safety, or security. The Paraguayan Ministry of Health requests all persons who have been potentially exposed to COVID-19 and/or have a fever, cough, or difficulty breathing, dial 154.
U.S. government personnel are working from home until March 28. Effective March 23, U.S. Embassy Asuncion has suspended routine consular services. For emergency American Citizen Services, including emergency passports, please visit our website.
On March 14, the Department of State authorized the departure from any diplomatic or consular post in the world of US personnel and family members who have been medically determined to be at higher risk of a poor outcome if exposed to COVID-19. In response to the ongoing COVID-19 outbreak the Peace Corps have evacuated all Volunteers worldwide.
The Department of State has issued a Global Level 4 Health Advisory for COVID-19 and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a Level 2 Global COVID-19 Outbreak Notice.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19 please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines or cruise lines regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Paraguay.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States.
U.S. Embassy Asuncion, Paraguay
1776 Mariscal Lopez Avenue
+(595) (21) 213-715
+(595) (21) 229-581 (after hours)
U.S. Embassy web page
State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
Paraguay Country Information
Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)to receive security updates
Follow us on Twitter and Facebook