Last updated: 06/14/2022
*** As of 12:01 a.m. EDT June 12, 2022, the CDC order requiring all persons aged two and above to show a negative COVID-19 test result or documentation of recovery from COVID-19 before boarding a flight to the United States, is rescinded. Starting at 12:01 a.m. EDT on June 12, 2022, the CDC will no longer order air passengers to show a negative COVID-19 test result, or show documentation of recovery from COVID-19, prior to boarding a flight to the United States. Of note, CDC’s Order requiring proof of vaccination for non-U.S. citizen nonimmigrants to travel to the United States is still in effect. For more information see Requirement for Proof of COVID-19 Vaccination for Air Passengers.
Check the CDC website for additional information and Frequently Asked Questions.
- Paraguay has confirmed cases of COVID-19 within its borders. The Paraguayan Ministry of Health states there is community transmission of the virus. Their has information on how to protect yourself from COVID-19 and maintains a case counter.
- Are PCR and/or antigen tests available for U.S. citizens in Paraguay? Yes
- COVID-19 testing in Paraguay is available through both public hospitals and private labs. Those who have symptoms of COVID-19, have recently come in contact with someone with COVID-19, can have testing at the following locations on the Ministry of Health website. Please note that results from public laboratories may take up to a week to arrive.
- If so, are test results reliably available within one calendar day? Yes
- For information on limited humanitarian exemptions to CDC’s requirement that all U.S. bound travelers present a negative COVID test, please review the following page: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/ea/covid-testing-required-us-entry.html.Humanitarian exemptions to this order will be granted on an extremely limited basis and will only be considered when the country of departure lacks adequate COVID-19 testing capacity. To submit information in support of an exemption, email email@example.com.
- Several private laboratories are also offering COVID-19 testing for a fee. Patients have the option of scheduling the test be administered at home or from inside their vehicle at the lab. Tests cost between 500,000 to 600,000 Guaranies and there are no requirements to be eligible for testing. Generally, results are delivered by email within 24 hours.
- The following is a non-exhaustive list of private labs in the Asuncion area providing testing:
- Laboratorio San Roque : Manuel del Castillo esq/Cruz del Defensor 5320 WhatsApp : +595974404666.
- Meyer Lab : Mariscal Estigarribia esquina Tte. Coronel Irrazabal WhatsApp: +595985134688.
- Diaz Gill Lab : Pai Perez 218 entre Eligio Ayala y Mcal. Estigarribia. Phone: (595-21) 2174204WhatsApp : +595986132683.
- Laboratorio Curie : Juan de Salazar 728 casi Washington. Phones: (595-21) 200447, (595-21) 200772WhatsApp : +595974889082.
COVID-19 Vaccine Information:
- Has the government of Paraguay approved a COVID-19 vaccine for use? Yes
- On December 29, 2020, the President of Paraguay signed a law authorizing the emergency use of vaccines approved by the US, EU, and other regional health authorities. Those with residence in Paraguay are eligible to receive the vaccine. For more information about who is eligible to receive the vaccine and the registration process, please visit the Ministry of Health website.
- The Ministry of Health website is also allowing registration for individuals age 18 and above.
- Are vaccines available in Paraguay for U.S. Citizens? Yes.
- The Paraguayan government has announced that all foreigners in Paraguay will be eligible to receive the COVID-19 vaccine. Those with cedulas may register hereusing the Registro Ciudadania Those without cedulas should use the Registro Extranjeros button. People with underlying medical conditions associated with high risk for severe Covid-19 should fill out this form which must be signed and stamped by the certifying physician.
- The United States Government does not plan to provide COVID-19 vaccinations to private U.S. citizens overseas. Please follow host country developments and guidelines for COVID-19 vaccination.
- Visit the FDA’s website to learn more about FDA-approved vaccines in the United States.
Entry and Exit Requirements:
- Are U.S. citizens permitted to enter? Yes
- U.S. citizens need a valid passport to enter Paraguay. U.S. citizens with expired or damaged passports may not be allowed to enter and could be sent back to the United States at their own expense. Private U.S. citizens do not need a visa for visits of up to 90 days for tourism or business.
- Is a negative COVID-19 test (PCR and/or serology) required for entry? No, if you are fully vaccinated. Travelers aged 12 and up who do not have a complete vaccination record must present a negative RT-PCR/LAMP/NAAT COVID-19 test result taken no more than 72 hours before departure.
- The Paraguayan government updated their entry and exit requirements. Travelers to Paraguay no longer have to fill out the Traveler’s Health Affidavit Form; the COVID-19 vaccination certificate is established as the only health requirement for entering Paraguay.
- Travelers aged 12 and up must present a primary vaccination record as to enter the country. (One dose or two doses according to the type of vaccine). For more detailed information please refer to the notice visiting the following website https://www.migraciones.gov.py/application/files/7716/5419/8085/Exigencias_sanitarias_2_de_junio_de_2022.pdf (PDF 186 Kb)
- The vaccine record must be in English, French, Portuguese or Spanish and include the following information:
- Passenger’s name
- Date of Birth
- Passport number
- Identification of the manufacturer of the vaccine
- Lot number of applied doses
- Dose application date
Proof of vaccination indicating data in QR-CODE format or in any other coded language will not be accepted
- Travelers aged 12 and up who do not have a complete vaccination record must present a negative RT-PCR/LAMP/NAAT COVID-19 test result taken no more than 72 hours before departure.
- Travelers from 12 years of age who have suffered from COVID-19 disease, from 10 to 90 days prior to entering the country, must prove this situation through laboratory results, RNA detection techniques: RT-PCR / LAMP/NAAT or positive antigen test.
- Individuals who enter the country under a neighbor-transit agreement must prove that they reside in a border city. They do not have any health requirements for entry. (For stays up to 72 hours and must live within 30 kilometers from the border of Paraguay).
- Is a curfew in place? No.
- Are there restrictions on intercity or interstate travel? No
- Are U.S. citizens required to quarantine? No.
- As of October 8, 2021 travelers (regardless of vaccination status) will not have to quarantine upon arrival. More information available
- Are commercial flights operating? Yes
- On October 21, 2020, the Government of Paraguay reopened Silvio Pettirossi International Airport. Regular commercial flights have resumed for the time being. We recommend you consider refund policies when booking flights as airlines have planned flight schedules that may not be able to meet anticipated passenger loads. In order to find available flights, please contact your local travel agency.
- Is public transportation operating? Yes
- Public transportation is operating. Paraguayan authorities will enforce regulations related to COVID-19, and U.S. citizens could be subject to detention, fines, or arrest if out of compliance.
- Travelers are recommended to find out in advance the migratory and health requirements for entering the country of destination and to have the documentation on hand when presenting at the immigration window. This information may be consulted with the authorities of the country of destination through its official channels (web portals, social networks, diplomatic offices, etc.)
- What ACS services are being offered?
- The Consular Section at the U.S. Embassy in Asuncion, Paraguay has resumed routine services for U.S. citizens in Paraguay, including passports and Consular Reports of Birth Abroad, as well as notarial services. These services are offered by appointment only. To make an appointment for a passport or notary, please visit the Embassy’s S. Citizen Services Pageand follow the instructions. To make an appointment for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad and Passport, please email ParaguayACS@state.gov. For life or death emergencies, please call 021-213-715 and follow the prompts if you are calling from Paraguay, or 1-888-407-4747 if you are calling from the United States.
- What visa services are being offered?
- If you were potentially exposed to COVID-19 and/or have a fever, cough, sore throat, or difficulty breathing, dial the Ministry of Health hotline at 154.
- Other Links: